Saturday, September 11, 2010

Adjust To Fit The Situation

What a week I have had. The ups and downs made me think of "Adjust to fit the situation." OK so I finally adjusted by Wednesday... but only because I had to. I am THAT stubborn and my sinuses were THAT irritated. I am not one to go down for the count that easily. ;)

My week started out great I was so pumped up to begin my second Fast Track @ Home month that my family could hardly stand to listen to me. ;) I had all these fantastic plans and "Can You's" that living with me was like living with a honey bee buzzing around the house. I plan to visit my friends in Reno in early October so I calculated 30+ days until then. Perfect amount of time for a second Fast Track @ Home!

On Sunday my Mom & I took a trip to the De Young Museum in SF to see the Musee d'Orsay Impressionist exhibit from France. I LOVE Monet but at lunch all I could talk about was my horses. Gotta love Mom coz she listened with interest. XOXOXO Mom

Monday found me playing with "Can You send your horse in a perfect circle of cones" I set the cones at about 3 feet from the round pen fence and asked my horse to walk, trot and canter in the "cone lane." Because of where Dove & I are at in our relationship I tried it at Liberty. In the beginning Dove wanted to "touch" every cone. Well that was very cool! This horse has some amazing thoughts going on in her head I tell ya. As we played more with circling we had some eggs and goofy circles. So I asked her to figure 8 around the cones in the "eggy" or "scary" spots and soon she was circling in the cone lane at Liberty. AWESOME!

NOTE TO SELF: Fig 8's or squeezing really helped. :-)

Then I remembered what we had as a Liberty task during Fast Track tests in CO - have your horse stick to you in the cone lane as you are outside the cone lane. So we tried that but added transitions. Oh Boy!

-->So friends here is your "Can You" for next week: Can you ask for stick to me with walk, trot, & canter transitions while your horse stays in the cone lane? Have fun!!

On Tuesday our integrative veterinarian came for a follow-up visit. Dove & Cherokee were perfect (no excuse for them now LOL) but Spice had done something to her left hind hock the day before (she has great timing). Dr Robson gave her some adjustments and prescribed some acupressure points for me to follow-up with as well as 2-3 days rest. :(

Then Tuesday night my sinus crud came back with a vengeance I have not had in years. So I finally realized on Tuesday that I needed to rest. UGH! The ONE thing I have to admit to being really really ANNOYED to is being knocked down or sick. I am a lousy patient. ;)

So Wed and Thurs I tried to slow down and get well because David Lichman was coming for lessons on Friday and I was NOT going to miss that! My son Chris took over lunch and fly mask duties on Wed and Thurs and I used the time to work on my Fast Track @ Home plan for the month.

By Friday I was good enough for lessons. Basically I pulled myself up by the boot straps. Thank goodness my horse Dove is such a ROCKSTAR! Spice was not only injured but was starting to colic due to the drastic hot/cold weather we had this week so I fortunately I had enough time to treat her before David arrived. Then I had to decide if I would take 2 hours of lessons with Dove or split the time with Cherokee. Eeeeks I was not really prepared to take a lesson with Cherokee on this day. I was willing to give it "go" but thankfully as usual David had the answer - the other student & I would split my 2 hours up. In our first hour, Dove & I worked on flexing or bending on the circle on the ground. Then, after a break while the other student had her lesson, Dove & I did the same while riding. It was amazing to have the feedback on how bracey and stiff Dove was and what to do about it. (More on this later as I am still processing) I was STOKED! Needless to say I have updated my "Can You's" and Fast Track @ Home plans.

I had "planned" to play with passenger lessons @ walk, trot & canter in our new round pen BUT now I will switch to what David showed us which is what I think Pat means by being "straight on the circle." Meaning your horse has ALL zones on the circle. If you have seen or heard Pat's recent videos and audios you will recognize it. You horse will have ALL ZONES from the nose to tail on the circle. There will be a natural bend to their bodies as ALL ZONES from the nose to tail are on the circle. Ok enough repeating. :)

So my plan for this next month of Fast Track @ Home is to play with ALL ZONES on the circle AND relaxed both online and riding. And depending on how we progress with this THEN we will try adding transitions and maintaining gait.

Why not get your better best NOW instead of LATER having to FIX something? Hmmm, I'm lickin' and chewin' and ADJUSTING!

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    It was really fun to read this post. It seems like you are doing great. I will try the stick to me task, we hade a clinic with Martin Wimmer last week and there is some things I have to improve in my stick to me so it would be perfect to try out at the same time, thank you.
    Here is one for you: When you do sideways can you ask the horse to go sideways and as soon as he does be neutral and just go with him/her without "nagging" in any zone, I did it at the clinic and it´s not that easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sofie! You have perfect timing! We too have been playing with our sideways game and so your "Can You" is a great way to expand our game. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete